Google Docs are used by almost everyone who works with texts, editing, translation, and team projects. There are some handy Google Docs functions that you could have missed. In this article, we compiled the 10 best Google Docs features that will facilitate your life and your writing experience.
Recently, Google Docs has added a possibility to comment on text with emojis instead of words. This could be an easy and funny way to leave notes and remarks on the shared doc and make the most of the service. For example, you can use shorthands like "love it" – ❤️, "cut it" –✂️, "what?" – ❓, or create new ones for "good job", or "thank you" messages.
To react with an emoji, follow these steps:
- Select part of your document to react to, then click on Insert > Emoji.
- Choose the emoji you'd like to insert.
To follow your document's progress, you can add a dropdown toggle and customize it with fonts and colors.
- To add a Dropdown, go to Insert > Dropdown.
- Create a new dropdown or choose from suggested presets.
- Using this, you can collaborate on the document with your colleagues and follow its status in real-time.
Add Building Blocks
Another option is to add building blocks to manage the document and productively collaborate on it.
To add building blocks, go to Insert > Building Blocks and choose the preset you want among Meeting Notes, Product Map, Email Draft, Review Tracker, etc.
Use @ function
Did you know that with a @ sign, you can tag not only collaborators but almost anything, including building blocks, images, charts, hyperlinks, etc.? Just type the @ icon and write what you'd like to insert.
Read Aloud extension
Although "Read Aloud" is not a Google Documents feature, it's a handy Chrome text-to-speech extension. You can add it to your Chrome browser and then listen to your document to hear it and recheck it again, not only with your eyes but also with your ears.
Add a watermark
If you work on a confidential document or an official brand statement, you can, for example, add a watermark to your doc. It can be either a semi-transparent image or a text.
- To do so, click on Insert > Watermark.
- Choose between an image or text watermark.
- Choose the image from your computer, or write a text, adjust it, and click Done.
If you are not planning to print your document, you can get rid of page breaks and make it more convenient.
- To make your document pageless, go to File > Page Setup.
- Then, toggle the "Pageless" option.
For long documents, you can add bookmarks and make it easier to find some specific content.
- To add a bookmark, click on Insert > Bookmark.
- Name the bookmark and copy the URL to save it for later.
Did you know that you can compare two documents with Google Docs within several seconds? This feature might be helpful to those working with text editing and translation.
- To compare two documents in Google Docs, go to Tools > Compare Documents.
- Then, choose the document you'd like to compare.
- Finally, click on the Compare tab and see the changes in the new doc.
Add summary to Outline
Apparently, a summary can be added to the outline in Google Docs. It might come in handy if you work on a lengthy document, research paper, thesis, etc. This way, you can find the section you need quickly and easily.
To add a summary to the outline, follow these steps:
- Click View > Show Outline.
- Click on the + icon "Add Summary."
- Type the subheadings and click Enter to save the changes.
- Google documents
- Doc google
- How to get google docs to read to you > Guide
- Download google doc with comments > Guide
- Duplicate google doc > Guide
- How to turn on spell check in google docs > Guide
- How to enable Google Drive OCR: PDF, scan, search > Guide
- Google reverse image search: mobile, iPhone, Android, app
- How to view Google Maps speed cameras: 2022, iPhone, UK
- How to enter coordinates in Google Earth?
- How to access your photos folder on Google Drive?
- Translate text messages with Google Translate on Android
- How to change distance unit on Google Maps: km to miles
- Enable Google Sheets right to left editing in Google Drive
- How to remove Google Drive: from PC, startup, Windows 10
- How to use Google Earth flight simulator
- How to turn off tilt view in Google Maps
- How to find a location on Google Maps: postal address, GPS
- Translate images via your phone camera with Google Translate
- How to download apps for Android with the Google Play Store
- How to open Google apps from desktop: shortcut, extension
- Limit uploads and downloads speed in Google Drive
- How to transfer Google Authenticator: iPhone, Android, PC
- How to get street view on Google Earth: VR, app, iPhone
- Google Play Store error codes and how to fix them
- Download offline Google Maps: iPhone, for PC, Android
- How to use and setup Google Chromecast
- How to translate a page on Android with Google Translate
- How to sort Google Drive
- How to turn off Google spoken answers?
- Share files on Google Drive: with other users, Android
- Compress images with Google Squoosh
- Turn off private results in Google searches
- Google Meet extension for Chrome: grid view, attendance
- How to change the language in Google Drive
- Create Google account: without Gmail
- Use Google Meet: download, desktop, mobile, breakout rooms
- Google Classroom: tutorial, features, cost, app download
- Google Kids Space: features, security, devices
- How to request a refund on Google Play
- How to block someone on Hangouts: Web, Android, iOS
- Add and edit images in Google Docs: rotate, resize, adjust
- How to make a Google Maps list
- Plan a route on Google Maps: app, Android, iPhone
- Restore Google Photos: backup, to phone, to gallery
- How to use OK Google: activate, search